Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Workin' in a coal mine



For today's image, I picked one of the ideas I was given. This is an alien miner. In hindsight, I should have made him look more grungy. Maybe he's at the start of his shift? I tried to make his clothing/goggles look high tech while still looking commonplace. I tried finger-blending the shading which I hadn't done in years. It turned out okay, but needs work. The alien started out as just a loose face and developed into an aquatic/amphibious sort of design as I drew. I thought the idea of a water-based species digging in the dirt was kind of funny.

Let me know what you like or even what you think I should have done different.

2 comments:

  1. Nice design, Sterling. I like what you've done with this guy. The "whiskers" around his mouth put me in mind of a catfish or something. A nice design! I like what you said about the aquatic species digging in the dirt. It makes me wonder if they'd have to have environmental suits filled up with water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, thinking about it, maybe they'd just flood the mine...?

    ReplyDelete