Saturday, October 16, 2010

Better Late than Never...




So my plan was to post everyday, but alas Life has had other plans for me. But never fear, I am back today with a new sketch for your enjoyment!

The hardest part so far to this project is figuring out what to draw. Much like other people I suffer from indecision when deciding on a subject to draw. Sometimes that blank white page is a daunting adversary. That is why I am sending out a plea to whoever might read this blog for ideas of what to draw. I can't promise I will draw every request, but it will give me some subjects to work from. I offer my sincerest thanks in advance.

Okay, enough rambling, let's get on with today's piece. This is a picture of a sci-fi assassin. I wanted to get across both an advanced technology base, but also a reliance on traditional weaponry. I started to draw the clichéd curvy/spiky knife, but I decided a slender dagger would be more appropriate. The thought is that they would rely on poisoned weapons, so the knife should be designed for piercing rather than slashing. You can see the vial of void-wyrm venom hanging at his belt. His clan markings can also be seen on his bird mask. The eye of fate marks his forehead and his shoulder pad has hierograms of doom painted on it.

I hope you like today's sketch and I look forward to any comments you guys have.

2 comments:

  1. I seriously love you.

    No, seriously.

    It's been a hassle to get onto a computer that would let me post a comment on this blog (I'm at my parents' at the moment) but I had to comment on this. I love how you've effortlessly come up with something that just screams character. Even those few tantalising lines that you've summoned up have set my creative juices bubbling and I would love to scratch out something involving these reclusive killers!

    This just shows how talented you are - and you don't give yourself enough credit. The paper might be a daunting foe, but you've bested it completely!

    I've got a bunch of ideas that you could draw. I guess you really want a massive bank of ideas that you can pull from as-and-when the fancy takes you.

    Consider drawing from life - celebrities, etc. Consider some of your favourite tv shows (especially the science-fiction ones!)

    Alternately, be creative. What might a Martian miner look like? An intellectual from the floating universities of Jupiter? What might Sherlock Holmes look like if he was steampunk? A tribesman with a spear? A dreamscape?

    A sinister clown? A victorian freakish sideshow? A carnival? An android? (As high or low tech as you wish!)

    An artist, or a sculptor, or a sculpture. A writer, a tree, a landscape. An ethereal creature, composed of water, or flame.

    A sky pirate, plundering airships. A submariner, or an astronaut. Characters from ancient mythology?

    Robots created to wage war, or a factory worker in some dystopian fantasy.

    The world's worst superhero.

    Undead skeletons, or a magician at work in his study.

    1920s Gangsters, wreathed in smoke, or the inhabitants of some bar on a deep-space station, where smugglers, pirates, traders, bounty hunters and slavers all congregate.

    Pulp-style aliens abducting vivacious women for nefarious purposes.

    Go wild! And ask me for more ideas if you want. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! Also, thanks for the ideas. :)

    I'm glad you liked the drawing, and the bit of flavor text. Whenever I am drawing a character, I will build a story or background for the character in my mind. Who is this person? What are they like? What kind of life to they lead? These tidbits of information are what help me decide how to dress the character and what kind of gear they carry. It's part of the fun of creating.

    ReplyDelete